Упражнения из рабочей тетради по английскому языку для 11 класса с ответами. Для всех, кто изучает английский язык, выполнение этих упражнений — прекрасный способ потренироваться и выявить пробелы в знаниях.
Enjoy English Workbook 1
Unit 1 What do young people face in society today?
Exercise 1. Use the appropriate prepositions from the box.
|for on to from to for with|
be tolerant ___ other cultures
be dependent ___ imported raw materials
be financially independent ___ parents
be responsible ___ financial collapse
object ___ construction plans
argue ___ opponents
fight ___ social rights
Упражнение 1. Используйте подходящие предлоги из рамки.
be tolerant to other cultures
be dependent on imported raw materials
be financially independent from parents
be responsible for financial collapse
object to construction plans
argue with opponents
fight for social rights
Exercise 2. Make up adjectives from the following nouns and write them in the appropriate column.
|confidence allergy difference conversation effect dependency exclusion authenticity care period account comfort politics expense acceptance controversy appeal boom|
Упражнение 2. Образуйте прилагательные из следующих существительных и запишите их в соответствующую колонку.
Exercise 3. Rephrase the sentences using the passive structure modal + be + V3.
1. You should write your suggestions and submit them to the tutor by next Tuesday.
2. You should never neglect your pets as they are not able to take care of themselves.
3. We should discover the truth and publish the story immediately.
4. The authorities shouldn’t keep people unaware of their political and social rights.
5. Nobody should abuse people because of their nationality or religious beliefs.
6. The government should protect elderly people’s right to a decent standard of living.
Упражнение 3. Перефразируйте предложения, используя пассивную конструкцию.
1. Your suggestions should be written and submitted to the tutor by next Tuesday.
2. Pets should never be neglected as they are not able to take care of themselves.
3. The truth should be discovered and the story should be published immediately.
4. People should not be kept unaware of their political and social rights.
5. People should never be abused because of their nationality or religious beliefs.
6. Elderly people’s right to a decent standard of living should be protected by the government.
Exercise 4. Use appropriate modal verbs.
Most people are aware of their rights, but they ___ (1) forget that rights entail responsibilities. If a person has the right to education, this means that society ___ (2) provide him with the opportunity to get it. The individual, in his turn, ___ (3) do his best to acquire knowledge and skills and to contribute to a good working environment in the classroom. Otherwise, he ___ (4) abuse the rights of other people:
- those of the classmates, who ___ (5) be deprived of their right because of inadequate working conditions;
- those of the staff, who ___ (6) work in non-encouraging environment;
- those of lots of taxpayers, who ___ (7) feel that their money is being wasted.
Упражнение 4. Используйте подходящие модальные глаголы.
1. shouldn’t; 2. must; 3. should; 4. can/may; 5. can/may; 6. have to; 7. may/can/will
Exercise 5. Group the linking devices from the list according to their function. Write them down.
as a result
first of all
to begin with
to sum up
sequencing ideas: ___
expressing contrast: ___
stating results: ___
giving examples: ___
Упражнение 5. Сгруппируйте соединительные слова из списка согласно их функции. Запишите их.
introducing: to begin with, first of all
sequencing ideas: firstly, secondly, finally, first of all, next, finally
expressing contrast: but, however, nevertheless, yet
stating results: so, thus, as a result
giving examples: for example, for instance
adding: besides, also, furthermore, moreover
concluding: in summary, to sum up, to conclude, to summarise, in conclusion
Exercise 6. Complete the essay. Use the appropriate linking words (see Ex. 5).
The right I consider the most important
Some people are not aware of the rights they have. For example, most of my friends have never thought about the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. While, in fact, there are lots of rights listed there. Some of them are vitally important.
I personally think that the most important right, apart from the right to live of course, is the right ___
To summarise, I want to highlight the idea that different people would nominate different rights for Right No 1. That’s why every right should be observed and none of them should be neglected.
Упражнение 6. Завершите эссе. Используйте подходящие связывающие слова (см. упр. 5).
I personally think that the most important right, apart from the right to live of course, is the right to get education. Our world sets strict requirements for people and the most crucial one is obtaining good knowledge. I believe that a child should have the opportunity to study as it will help him in the future. Unfortunately, in some countries this right is violated, as there are lots of children who do not attend school.
Exercise 1. Cross out the word which doesn’t go with the word politics.
Упражнение 1. Вычеркните слово, которое не может использоваться со словом «politics».
Exercise 2. Choose and circle five most important characteristics for a successful politician.
good-looking, communicative, smart, intelligent, well-educated, responsible, fluent in languages, ambitious, practical, aggressive, well-read, flexible, talented, hard-working, creative.
Упражнение 2. Выберите и обведите в кружок пять наиболее важных качеств успешного политика.
Exercise 3. Write a few lines to develop the following statements.
1. A political leader should be communicative because ___
2. A political leader should be fluent in languages because ___
3. A political leader should be responsible because ___
Упражнение 3. Напишите несколько строк, продолжая следующие утверждения.
1. …he/she needs to communicate with people / should be able to find supporters to promote their ideas / needs to be popular with people.
2. …he/she needs to communicate with other politicians in different countries. It’s easier to come to agreement if the politician knows the language. A politician should also be able to read newspapers and documents in different languages to have easier access to information.
3. …his/her decisions affect lots of people. Wrong decisions do people lots of harm and make them unhappy. A politician must be very careful and foresee the result of his/her actions.
Exercise 4. Use the verbs in CAPITAL LETTERS in the appropriate forms.
A: Hi! What are you doing?
B: Just browsing the internet, can’t you see?
A: What for? ___ (1) for anything? (YOU/LOOK)
B: Yes, I need to write an essay on a political leader. I ___ (2) for an hour already but I really don’t know whom to choose. (BROWSE)
A: This means that you are quite indifferent to politics, aren’t you?
B: That’s right. I ___ (3) to be interested in it a couple of years ago. I even analysed the results of elections and felt disadvantaged that I ___ (4) the right to vote yet. However now I think there are more important things than politics. (USE, NOT/HAVE)
A: I see. But whom are you going to write about, after all?
B: I don’t know. Have no idea at all.
A: Well, it’s just occurred to me… If I were you, I ___ (5) about Benazir Bhutto. (WRITE)
B: Who is he?
A: Not he but she. She was a prominent politician and a charismatic person.
B: Tell me more about her. ___ (6) a politician is a tough job, for women especially. (BE)
A: Well, Bhutto’s biographers think that she was born to become a politician as she was the eldest child in the family of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, Prime Minister of Pakistan. She was the first woman who ___ (7) to rule a Muslim state – she chaired the Pakistan Peoples Party and ___ (8) the post of Prime Minister twice in 1988-1990 and in 1993-1996. (ELECT, OCCUPY)
B: Sounds impressive. Go on.
A: Her political career wasn’t smooth. She had lots of opponents and ___ (9) both success and failure. Politics is a very controversial thing – you never know what’s true and what’s not. Once Benazir ___ (10) of corruption but then the allegations were withdrawn. I think it was her opponents’ trick. (EXPERIENCE, ACCUSE)
B: And is she still in politics?
A: Unfortunately, no. She was the leading opposition candidate for the general elections in 2008 and, I think, had a good chance to become President of Pakistan. But Benazir Bhutto ___ (11) two weeks before the Pakistani general elections. (MURDER)
B: Do you mean that it wasn’t an accident?
A: Oh no! It was an assassination, a murder for political purposes. Several shots ___ (12) at her car. One of them caused her death. (FIRE)
B: I feel that I want to find out more about that outstanding woman. Could you spell her name – I’ll type it into the search bar.
Упражнение 4. Поставьте слова, набранные ЗАГЛАВНЫМИ БУКВАМИ, в нужную форму.
1. Are you looking
2. ‘ve been browsing
4. didn’t have
5. would write
7. was elected
10. was accused
11. was murdered
12. were fired
Exercise 5. Solve the «Political Puzzle».
1. Margaret Thatcher was the leader of the … Party and Prime Minister of Great Britain. (12 letters)
2. Realistic political leaders believe that disagreements should be solved through … , and never through armed conflicts. (12 letters)
3. The … Party is one of the two major contemporary political parties in the United States. (10 letters)
4. When people want to support a candidate, they … for him/her in a political election. (4 letters)
5. When people change a political system by force, they make a … . (10 letters)
6. Lots of former colonies spent centuries to become … states. (11 letters)
7. All politics related things are called … issues. (9 letters)
8. … issues causes lots of disagreements because people have different opinions on them. (13 letters)
9. … is the main law-making institution in the UK. (10 letters)
10. Gordon Brown became the leader of the … Party of Great Britain in 2007. He was preceded by Tony Blair. (6 letters)
11. Progressive political leaders promote the idea of cultural, political and religious … . (9 letters)
12. Unwise economic policy can lead to an economic …, which leads to unemployment and inflation. (6 letters)
Упражнение 5. Решите «политическую головоломку».
Exercise 1. Tick the things you cannot do without. Complete the passages.
a washing machine
an air conditioner
hair styling spray
make-up remover lotion
after shave lotion
disposable paper napkins
I know that using ___ can be harmful to the environment, but I cannot do without it. I need ___ when ___.
The thing I can do without easily is ___. I don’t need it because ___.
Упражнение 1. Отметьте вещи, без которых вы не можете обойтись. Дополните предложения.
I know that using plastic dishes can be harmful to the environment, but I cannot do without it. I need them when I go on a picnic with my friends, because it’s too heavy to carry usual dishes. Besides, it would take a very long time to wash them.
The thing I can do without easily is shower gel. I don’t need it because I use soap instead.
Exercise 2. Match the words to make meaningful expressions.
to the environment
Упражнение 2. Соотнесите слова, чтобы получить устойчивые словосочетания.
harmful to the environment
waste of energy
Exercise 3. Read the texts. Find and write down the words which mean:
|things can be called like that when they can exist or be used together|
|designed to be thrown away after you have used it once or just a few times|
|made of waste materials|
|to put an amount of something into a container but not for the first time|
|a flat piece of plastic, metal, or wood with raised edges, used for carrying things such as plates or food|
|a date printed on something you buy that shows that it may be less safe to eat or less effective after this date|
Small crimes against the planet
This air freshener is called «Sweet Baby», and if you spray it around, your room will have the odor of perfumed baby nappies. You probably wouldn’t like it, especially if you don’t have or want a baby. Moreover, the label on it states openly that it is harmful to the environment. What is new about it is that this air freshener operates on electricity, which means you will be wasting energy together with filling the air with unwanted perfume. If you have your air freshener on for 15 hours a day, one refill will last for up to 80 days.
Go to any chemist’s and you will find a big variety of them: makeup remover wipes, hand wipes, tooth wipes, wood wipes, dog wipes, window wipes and houseplant leaf wipes, each containing some special compound that makes them particularly suitable for a certain type of usage. The whole wipes industry exploits the idea that a separate disposable cloth for every chore exists. I actually find that many of them are exceedingly unnecessary. For example, I wouldn’t choose to buy any houseplant leaf wipes since I wash my plants with soft soap foam under a nice cool shower! And they like it!
So you don’t like to cook? Then this invention is for you! The kit consists of a cardboard sleeve, a plastic tray, a beef burger, a bun, some chips, some tomato sauce and a foil tray to cook everything in. Everything is wrapped separately and put in a box or sachet. But there is more here to throw away than there is to eat, and the use-by date gives you only 24 hours before the whole thing goes in the bin unopened. It seems that ready meal producers think that you have nothing in your kitchen apart from a microwave oven!
Using these makes me want to kill someone! You may also be familiar with this terrible product if you have got a cheap electric lawnmower: steel lawnmower blades have been replaced by disposable plastic ones, and they barely are able to last for 15 minutes. They don’t actually cut the grass but shred it, and only one sort is compatible with your make of the mower. Surprisingly, the label is said to be made from 100% recycled paper.
Do you think it is possible to be 75% organic? I don’t think so! The label on a package of this fresh lettuce says it is 100% organic and invites us to admire its quality. Moreover, it says that it is alive and hydroponic, which is just another way of saying that is grown in water. I don’t immediately understand why that means the lettuce has to be put into a thick plastic, individual box and exported from Canada. Some people are ready to pay more for organic food thinking they are doing so partly out of concern for the environment, but this is not exactly the case.
Упражнение 3. Прочитайте тексты. Найдите и выпишите слова, которые означают:
7. use-by date
Exercise 4. Fill in the words from the box.
|disposable compatible perfume recycled wrap|
1. Yes, I’m buying this vase. Could you ___ it, please?
2. I’ve packed everything for the picnic. We’ve got chips, drinks, some meat and ___ dishes and glasses.
3. I wanted to install this computer game, but it’s not ___ with my computer software.
4. I wanted to apply some ___, but changed my mind – my friend is allergic to it.
5. Have a look, these books are made from ___ paper, but the quality is very good.
Упражнение 4. Заполните пропуски словами из рамки.
Exercise 5. Fill in the articles as necessary.
Alice: You look so tanned in ___ (1) middle of winter! What do you do for that? You look as if you were just from ___ (2) sunny seaside resort.
Monica: I wish it were true. But no, it’s more prosaic. This is ___ (3) artificial suntan – I’ve got it in solarium. It’s available at ___ (4) reasonable charge, and it’s right near my house.
Alice: I’ve never been to a solarium. What’s it like?
Monica: Oh, they can be different. ___ (5) solarium I’ve been to is very small and there is ___ (6) bed there and ___ (7) few bright lamps. You need to lie on your back, with your eyes closed, and than roll around and lie on ___ (8) belly.
Alice: And are you sure that getting tan in a solarium is safe enough? I’m afraid that it can be dangerous for ___ (9) skin, can’t it?
Monica: It certainly can. That’s why it’s very important to make sure that you don’t exceed ___ (10) time recommended for each session. Don’t try to get everything in one time.
Alice: But I heard that ___ (11) safety also depends on ___ (12) equipment used in the solarium. If ___ (13) lamps are old or haven’t been maintained properly, you can be burnt.
Monica: You may be right, to some extent. I know that ___ (14) doctors do not recommend using a solarium very often. But I like it when my skin looks tanned…
Alice: You, probably, can consider using ___ (15) cosmetics instead. You know, there are some creams that can give your skin ___ (16) touch of tan if you use them regularly.
Упражнение 5. Вставьте артикли, где это необходимо.
1. the; 2. a; 3. an; 4. a; 5. The; 6. a; 7. a; 8. the; 9. –; 10. the; 11. –; 12. the; 13. the; 14. –; 15. –; 16. a.
Exercise 6. Fill in the prepositions to complete the expressions. Check your answers in the text.
1. in addition ___ the Convention
2. to engage ___ trading
3. the agreement came ___ force
4. to deal ___ climate change
5. to contribute ___ socio-economic growth
6. changes are required ___ many reasons
The Kyoto Protocol
The Kyoto Protocol is an addition to the United Nations Convention on Climate Change.
Countries which ratify this protocol commit to reducing their emissions of carbon dioxide and five other greenhouse gases. Industrialised countries have specified reduction targets and can engage in emissions trading or what’s being called «Joint implementations». Finally, countries can take part in a third instrument, the «Clean development mechanism».
A total of 141 countries have ratified the Kyoto agreement. Notable exceptions include the United States and Australia. The agreement came into force on February 16, 2005, following ratification by Russia.
The Kyoto Protocol may seem just a small first step to dealing with climate change, but it is significant. We have to find ways to contribute to socio-economic growth and at the same time lower our emissions of greenhouse gases.
But the major changes of our energy systems that are required, are not only to reduce their harmful effects, but also to address the oil shortage, the security of our energy supply, and even world peace.
Упражнение 6. Вставьте предлоги, чтобы дополнить выражения. Проверьте свои ответы по тексту.
Exercise 7. Answer the questions. Present arguments to support your point of view.
1. What do you think is the biggest threat to people today? Is it global war, global warming, diseases, stress, or any other?
2. In what way do you think people can lessen the negative impact of their activity on the environment?
3. What should people do to make your region/city a safer and nicer place to live in?
Exercise 8. Listen to the people and complete the table.
|reasons against using mobiles while driving||reasons for using mobiles while driving||actions to prevent people from using mobiles while driving|
Упражнение 8. Послушайте, что говорят люди, и заполните таблицу.
|reasons against using mobiles while driving||reasons for using mobiles while driving||actions to prevent people from using mobiles while driving|
|You can’t concentrate on driving.||It’s easy to use earphones.||Tough penalties.|
|It is dangerous.||Confiscation of mobiles.|